
January 5 a few of my close friends and I flew to San Diego California where I had been asked to lead a workshop entitled "Maximizing your connections to better your community" at a conference called The American Humanics Management Institute. American Humanics is an organization that works with universities to teach undergraduates how to become non-profit administrators. The trip itself was a blast.
The workshop I led was based on the philosophy of asset based community development. Asset based community development is essentially looking to your assets to help you make decisions rather than your deficits.
I started the hour and a half by talking about how I used the philosophy last January. Instead of saying "What am I going to do after I graduate I have no work experience, I don't have a masters degree..." I took a close look at what I did have to offer. I had 2 semesters of American Sign Language, a non-profit administration degree, the ability to live on a low income, and a strong connection to the United Methodist Church.
After I finished with my personal story I told the group about how the Deaf Shalom Zone, Inc. uses the same philosophy. Shalom Zones were designed around the idea of gathering together the members of any given community and deciding what gifts they had to offer. In 2001 the Deaf Shalom Zone, Inc. held a large community meeting where they asked the same question rather than asking "What are the needs of the community?" and then compiling a list that is 8,000 pages long. At that meeting the Deaf Shalom Zone, Inc. realized that they had gifts in American Sign Language, case management, and a strong tie to the Deaf and Deaf/Blind community.
I believe in this way of thinking and I encourage us all to make decisions based on the same philosophy. From now on, instead of asking yourself "what are my obstacles?" ask yourself "What are my gifts?" Instead of asking "What went wrong?" ask yourself "what went right?" Maybe you will beign to feel uplifted rather than weighed down. See where it leads you.
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment